14 Life-Changing Goals
- Create a system to organize your bills. This could be a 3-ring notebook, a spreadsheet, a 3X5 file box, or something else. You will gain control of your expenses by doing this.
- Create a budget for your household. This can be done with pencil & paper, a spreadsheet, an online budgeting program, or something else.
- Cut all unnecessary spending. Sell anything you don’t need, use, or love. Bring in as much money as you can. It’s time to appreciate every dollar you earn.
- Catch up on any housing, utility, or vehicle expenses you’ve gotten behind on.
- Evaluate your life insurance situation and your Will situation. I DON’T sell either of these, but I can direct you to professionals or websites that can help you at affordable prices. Both of these are important enough to have landed on this list of goals!
- Fund any expense categories you will be short in because you haven’t had enough time to save up for them, but they are coming due soon. Example: License plates are due in 4 months. You only have 4 months to save up for them instead of 12 months. Start saving for that now!
- Save for small emergencies. ($1,000-$5,000) This will give you something to fall back on for now. I know it might not seem like much, but it might be more than you have now.
- Save up what it would cost you to pay your expenses for 1 month. You will then be able to pay next month’s expenses with this month’s income! ☺ At this point, you can finally breathe!
- It’s time to start paying down your debts. We will make a plan to pay extra on certain debts. NOTE: Your mortgage isn’t included in this list. We will work on that later.
- Save up 3-12 month’s worth of expenses in case your income stops or slows down for ANY reason. This money will be added to the money you saved earlier for small emergencies.
- Start putting 15% of your income away for retirement every month.
- Save for children’s college. If you choose to pay for some or all of your children’s college expenses, begin putting money away for this now.
- Start chipping away at your mortgage until it’s paid off. Get set up to pay your mortgage every 2 weeks. Imagine life without a house payment!
- Have fun giving generously and investing. You've earned it. Way to go!
ORGANIZED, PROFESSIONAL, AND HONEST
Melinda is organized, professional and honest. She has hands-on tools and strategies that help with the day-to-day financial planning and decision that need to be made to make good financial decisions. Melinda is extremely knowledgeable and is a good communicator, making her an excellent teacher. Highly recommend!